Mentoring the Younger Generation

Official ASME Group

Piedmont-Carolina Section

Welcome to the Piedmont-Carolina Group of ASME! Based in the Piedmont Region of North Carolina, our Group covers 18 surrounding counties. We are focused on promoting the Engineering Profession in our...
See More
Edit Post Mode
Cancel

Enter the date that this post should be published.

Are you sure?

Are you sure you want to delete this file? This action is irreversible.

• Mentoring the Younger Generation

Recently I spent 1.5 hrs. talking with the new Student Section Chair at one of our chartered Student Sections. During our conversation about the challenges in the Senior Section and the Student Section it became apparent that our two Sections could learn from each other. That sometimes happens in mentoring. I have challenged the Officers, Committee Chairs of the Senior Section to reach out to their like type counter parts in the Student Section from a mentoring stand point. Listen to the younger generation and talk about their challenges in operating the Student Section. Offer suggestions and if wanted, assistance. This seems to me the reason for Mentoring. Take this one step further. Do you know a younger Engineer in your organization? Have you approached then from a Mentoring stand point or have you assumed that they know it all or that they may not want your wisdom. Perhaps you may learn something from them. Times change, people change, generations change and we can all learn from one another.