Official ASME Group

Research Committee on Water & Steam in Thermal Systems

Activities encompass all aspects of water and steam technology significant to steam generation and use including the properties of water and steam. Produces the ASME Steam Tables and water consensus...
See More

Subcommittee on Water Technology

MISSION

To undertake research and education in the development of good feedwater and boiler water chemistry control practices for steam and water usage in all thermal systems.

CURRENT PROJECTS

• Precommissioning of CoGeneration and Combined Cycle Power Plants. Task Group Chair, Ted Beardwood

• Produced Water for Enhanced Oil Recovery Steam Generating Systems. Task Group Chair, Melonie Myszczyszyn 

• Joint project with the Properties of Steam Subcommittee on amine use in plants with steam turbines.

NEW PROJECT IDEAS

Members of the subcommittee are exploring the industry need for potential research projects in the following areas:

• Management education concerning controls, training, instrumentation, etc.
  • Revision of the chemistry section of the 1989 ASME Handbook on Water Technology for Thermal Power Systems for solo publication
  • HRSG start up and/or cycling chemistry
  • Boiler system mothballing

PAST PROJECTS AND PUBLICATIONS

Consensus on Best Tube Sampling Practices for Boilers & Nonnuclear Steam Generators
(CRTD-103. ASME Order #860359)
Published 2014.  24 pages.

Consensus on Operating Practices for Control of Water and Steam Chemistry in Combined Cycle and Cogeneration Power Plants
(CRTD-100. ASME Order #859988)
Published 2012. 56 pages.

Consensus on Operation Practices for the Sampling and Monitoring of Feedwater and Boiler Water Chemistry in Modern Industrial Boilers
(CRTD-81. ASME Order #802485)
Published 2006. 50 pages.

2003 ASME Consensus Documents on Feedwater, Boiler Water, Steam, and Lay-up of Boiler Systems and CD-Rom
(Contains CRTD-66, CRTD-35 and CRTD-34. ASME Order #I0058C)
Released 2003.

Consensus for the Lay-Up of Boilers, Turbines, Turbine Condensers, and Auxiliary Equipment(CRTD-66. ASME Order #I00587)
Published 2002. 72 pages.

Consensus on Operation Practices for the Control of Feedwater and Boiler Water Chemistry in Modern Industrial Boilers
(CRTD-34. ASME Order #I00367)
Published 1994, Revised and Expanded 1998. 48 pages.

Practical Guide to Avoid Steam Purity Problems in the Industrial Plant
(CRTD-35. ASME Order #I00383)
Published 1995. 40 pages.

MEETINGS

The Subcommittee meets twice a year. Spring meetings are usually held at NIST headquarters in Gaithersburg, Maryland. Fall meetings are usually held in conjunction with the International Water Conference. Following are the currently scheduled meetings:

• November 9, 2016 - International Water Conference, San Antonio, TX
  • April 18-19, 2017 - National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD

CONTACTS

Chair:
Bob Bartolomew

Secretary:
Ms. Deborah Bloom
Nalco Company

Errata Issued for Digital Version

2003 ASME Consensus Documents on Feedwater, Boiler Water, Steam, and Lay-up of Boiler Systems and CD-Rom (ASME Order #I0058C)

• Errata Issued May 2004

"The caption for Table 3 on page 28 of CRTD-Vol. 34 on the CD-ROM is incorrect.

The caption should read: 'Suggested Water Chemistry Limits Industrial Firetube, High Duty, Primary Fuel Fired.'

The printed version is correct."